For 2020, Summer Reading will be all about fairy tales, fantasy, and mythology.
Dear CSLP Member Libraries,
We are writing to address the serious concerns raised over the use of Native American imagery in the 2020 poster art.
CSLP recently became aware that there were serious concerns over the use of Native American imagery being paired with fairytale and fantastic images in the 2020 poster art. These concerns apply to all four posters.
On November 6th the CSLP Board of Directors held their monthly Board meeting and a discussion of the artwork was added to the agenda. Library representatives from twenty-five different states participated in the conversation. It was decided that input from subject experts from the Native American community, as well as others, would be sought and a plan would be developed.
The following changes will be enacted for the 2020’s “Imagine Your Story” Program:
● Remove and/or replace (if possible) all artwork with Coyote, Raven, and/or a Totem pole image on the online manual
● Remove all posters from the online store.
● Remove product containing Coyote, Raven, and/or a Totem pole image from the online store.
● Update the PDF product catalog.
● Make building and codifying internal processes and procedures the “Strategic focus” for the next two years.
● Commission one poster design, and one "timed reading" record design for the 2020 program.
Easy, Peasy, and Fun has a great activity of 3-D Unicorns. Get the pattern and instructions at the link below. Make a herd of unicorns this summer!
Alexandria Library Software has a fun and educational activity to teach storytelling. Download the pdfs of the 4 dice used in the game and instructions for the activity below.
West Virginia Library Commission
1900 Kanawha Blvd East | Culture Center, Bldg. 9 | Charleston, WV 25305
In-State Toll Free : (800) 642-9021 | (304) 558-2041