Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
WVCCBA Noninees Selction Criteria
WVCCBA nominees’ selection criteria:
- Only fiction books in print and published in the United States may be considered.
- Interest and reading level must be appropriate for children in grades three through six.
- Copyright year must be no more that three years preceding the nominating year. For example books considered for nomination for 2010-2011 can include books with copyrights for 2009, 2008 and 2007.
- Titles should meet the literary standards adopted by the Children’s Services Division of the American Library Association for Notable Books:
- Have high literary merit.
- Have qualities of originality, imagination, and vitality.
- Have an element of timelessness.
- Reflect the sincerity of the author.
- Have sound values.
- Have a theme of subject worth imparting to and of interest to children.
- Have factual accuracy.
- Have clarity and readability.
- Be appropriate in subject, treatment and format to the age group for which it is intended.
5. Textbooks, new additions, adaptations and abridgements are not eligible.
Picture books meeting these criteria are eligible. Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco is an excellent example. Graphic novels that meet the above criteria are also eligible.
West Virginia Library Commission
1900 Kanawha Blvd East | Culture Center, Bldg. 9 | Charleston, WV 25305
In-State Toll Free : (800) 642-9021 | (304) 558-2041